Resist the vending machine by prepping these healthy snacks ahead of time. Bonus: They’re cheaper than the commercial 100-calorie snack packs you’d find at the grocery store. From No. 1-rated The DASH Diet for Weight Loss, by Thomas Moore, M.D.
• 1 rice cake spread with 2 teaspoons almond butter or natural peanut butter
• 1 cup sliced bananas and fresh berries
• 20 unsalted pretzel sticks, 1 reduced-fat string cheese stick, celery sticks (all you can eat)
• 1 medium apple with 1 ounce low-fat cheese
• 1 cup fresh fruit salad sprinkled with 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
• 1/2 of a reduced-fat string cheese stick and 4 whole-wheat snack crackers
• 1/2 medium banana sprinkled with 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
• 3 cups unsalted air-popped popcorn
• 1 cup strawberries with 1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt
• All-you-can-eat green veggie sticks (cucumbers, bell peppers, celery) with 1 tablespoon “lite” dressing for dipping
• 1/2 cup unsweetened toasted oat cereal with 1/4 cup blueberries and 1/2 cup nonfat milk
• 1 hard-boiled egg with 1 slice melba toast
Get fit. Find nutrition facts. Live a healthy lifestyle. Sign up for our newsletter!
Sign up to receive the latest tips on Diet and Fitness: