According to The DASH Diet for Weight Loss by Thomas Moore, MD, fruit is a perfect “Hi-Lo-Slo” food (HIgh volume, LOw calorie, SLOw to eat), helping you feel full on fewer calories. Use these simple tips to immediately reap the health and weight-loss benefits of adding more fruit to your diet.
• Make a quick smoothie in the blender by pureeing peaches and/or nectarines, a touch of your favorite fruit juice, crushed ice, and a light sprinkling of nutmeg. Add “lite” vanilla yogurt for creaminess if you want. The thicker it is, the more Slo it will be to eat.
• Serve fruit wedges with chunks of low-fat cheese and whole-wheat crackers—apples are a great choice for this.
• Toss grapefruit and/or orange sections in a fresh crunchy salad of mixed greens—the sweet citrus and crisp lettuce are a surprisingly delicious combination.
• Grill fruit skewers over medium-hot coals for a fun-to-eat and tasty barbecue treat.
• Make frozen fruit kabobs using pineapple chunks, bananas, grapes, and berries. Or just freeze grapes and berries for a refreshing treat.
• Fruit salad in seconds: Drain mandarin orange slices and empty into a bowl. Add sliced banana, sliced apple, and some blueberries or raisins.
• Make juice cubes by pouring 100 percent fruit juice into an ice cube tray and freezing. Sucking on these is a Slo treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Sign up to receive the latest tips on Diet and Fitness: