This fruit-based stir-fry has only 330 calories, plus one fruit and one veggie serving. You can easily make it vegetarian, too. Get on your healthy eating plan with this low-fat recipe from the top-rated The DASH Diet for Weight Loss, by Thomas J. Moore, M.D.
Fruity Chicken Stir-Fry
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in thin strips
1/2 cup peeled and sliced onions
1 cup peeled and grated carrots
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup snow peas or sugar snap peas
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup pine nuts or 2 tablespoons cashew nuts
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
2 tablespoons seedless raisins
1 large unpeeled Golden Delicious apple, quartered, cored, and cut into lengthwise slices
3/4 cup prepared duck sauce
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and stir-fry until lightly browned and cooked through (about 4 minutes).
2. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside, covering it lightly with foil to keep warm.
3. Pour the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil into the skillet and add onion, carrots, and basil. Stir-fry until the carrots are tender.
4. Add the snow peas and water and stir-fry for 2 minutes more.
5. Stir in the pine nuts, apricots, and raisins. Remove from the heat and stir in the apples.
6. Add the chicken back to the pan along with the duck sauce and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Makes 5 cups
DASH servings (per 1 cup stir-fry, without rice)
Get fit. Find nutrition facts. Live a healthy lifestyle. Sign up for our newsletter!